Sunday, September 5, 2010

Admiration

Much to my amusement I found a friend's work on the Internet this afternoon. I am seldom pleasantly surprised, I am according to my nature a hasty pessimist, it's not because of unhappiness but rather dissatisfaction.

I ventured onto the links this afternoon for the same reason someone would go to a museum of "oddities" or a "Ripley's believe it or not" I wanted to laugh at the weirdness. Instead I found a sincere, albeit foreign, interest in the art that was being pursued. There was a surprisingly large amount of information available, and an obvious progression in the quality of work, and the impact said work made on someone not even familiar with art in a technological medium.

Now this is not to say I would venture to emulate this type of work. I lack the creativity, and have enough hobbies, and avenues to pursue my artistic side. But what I saw was an individual, sides of the person I rarely ever saw in person, became the predominate expression of their art.

I want to cultivate this type of expression, not through technology, art, cars, words, but rather through authenticity. Not to say I have been acting, or disingenuous, that's not my problem. My problem is a predisposition to be too quick to classify others, or to concern myself with upholding my version of being "cool". These traits have fenced in boundaries of my expression.

This blog is an example of cultivating that expression. Just putting words into space, not to fulfill an assignment, or to complain aimlessly. But, to develop my ability to express in words, what is rolling around in my scattered mind. It's always surprising to me that the clarity in art doesn't show in the art, but rather in the artist.

I will try harder to admire the art, and artist in all.

No comments:

Post a Comment